Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Almost 2/3 done with M1 year!

I can't believe that I am almost done with my second unit out of three of the first year of medical school! It has been a crazy ride thus far. I have really enjoy the neurology unit! Today we had the first part of our EOU (end of unit) exam. It was for the doctoring portion of our grade. We had 40 minutes to conduct a full history and neurological examination on a standardized patient (patient who is trained to "fake" a certain disease). There is a one-way mirror where a doctor or nurse watches us and they grade us based on the amount of findings we are able to get from the history and our technique during the physical examination. Then we have 10 minutes to organize our notes and formulate hypotheses. We then proceed to a computer station where we enter in the patient's chief complain, pertinent positive and negative findings, and a list of possible differential diagnoses. Then we are allowed to "run tests" on our patients. You can pick from almost any test imaginable and have to state which hypothesis you are testing. You immediately get the results of the tests. From there, you decide on your final diagnosis and have to write a paragraph of diagnostic justification explaining why you picked what you picked. It is pretty intense! I am still trying to get a grasp on the vast amount of disease processes that can occur with neurological symptoms! In two days we have our histology, gross anatomy, and neuroanatomy practical exams. Then on Friday we have a written test. Friday afternoon I will join a group of friends at our after exam lunch spot El Bajio for yummy Mexican food.

Following the test, it is finally SPRING BREAK! We get the whole week off and the best part is that we just finished the unit so there will be NO STUDYING! YAY! Saturday Bill's mom and grandma are throwing me a bridal shower in Chicago which I am so excited for. Then the rest of the week I will be in Champaign working on wedding stuff and hanging out with my parents. My mom already has a list of appointments set up! We are going to the Michelle's to try on my wedding dress and pick out a flower girl dress. Then we are meeting with Father Joe from St. Patrick's to discuss what we have to do in preparation for the upcoming wedding (thank goodness we already have pre-cana out of the way!). Then we are meeting with the I Hotel to talk about the reception. We also have an appointment to pick out a transportation for the bridal party to and from the wedding and are in the process of trying to set up an appointment to meet with Rosie (who makes cakes and made the most amazing cupcakes for my friend Kristy's wedding reception!). So, it looks like it is going to be a busy but fun week!

Okay, it is seriously time to get back to studying. Just 3 more days!!!!!!!!! It's time for the final sprint!!! I can do it!!!!!!

No comments: